From 6 months a baby is ready to wean onto solids. Their nutritional needs change and the demands need to be met. As your baby gradually drops their milk feeds, it can often lead to the loss of protein in their diet. Quinoa being a seed which is high in complete proteins is naturally gluten free, which makes it easy for babies to digest.
Let’s look at the facts. Quinoa boasts:
- Protein content of 12 to 18%
- A complete protein because it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- High in lysine, an amino acid important for tissue growth and repair. Lysine also helps boost the body’s calcium absorption, building strong bones.
- Quinoa is also high in fibre (it has 50% more fibre than brown rice) and iron.
- It is naturally gluten-free making it easy for babies to digest but also has a low glycaemia index – meaning baby will digest it slowly and it will keep them feeling full for longer.
- It’s also a natural source of Vitamin E and Vitamin B1, along with most of the minerals needed by the human body – calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium and copper.